In the place of Os Eidos, a large space next to Campo das Redes and located outside the walls of the town, there was an old hospital for the poor and pilgrims.
In 1833 this space was converted into a cemetery built and paid for by the Redondela City Council. Over time, some funerary elements or numbered stones were taken from the cemetery to the church of Santiago from Redondela.
The cemetery underwent some renovations over the years. In the 80s of the 20th century it was closed after the creation of a municipal cemetery far from the urban area. But the space remained untouched.
The cemetery was rehabilitated in 2020. The result allows you to observe sculptures, tombs, mausoleums or tombstones of great artistic value. In addition, for local history, here are the names of important figures, from politicians to soldiers.
We must highlight the work of the master stonemasons and the tastes of the bourgeois era, perceptible in some sculptures and in the symbols used.
This monument, considered a “romantic garden”, aspires to enter the list of “Singular Cemeteries of Europe”.